Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Bird of Paradise Flower

In the spring I had taken a photo of a Bird of Paradise blooming in my friends garden, a portion of this photo is my blog header.

I had started painting this photo in July during the summer session class at the Casa de la Cultura.  The class was only for the month of July and I work slowly so did not get it finished.  I brought it home and because I was busy with some other projects it just sat on the easel.

When I finished the Hummingbird painting in class I decided to take the Bird of Paradise back to class and finish it off.  I did and have now finished it.

One more project done.

I took the photo of Zoe and this one too early in the morning and it was a little too bright yet; but was away later, so it is what it is.

Here it is, click on image to see a larger version.  Bird of Paradise done in oils on canvas.





















I have now started a new project both at class and at home.  I was going to do an oil painting of a church in a smaller town in our state of Sonora; but the best laid plans often go astray.  One day I happened to show Roy some photos of horses, that a relative had sent in an email.  He loved 2 of them and suggested that I do them in the same technique as the Hummingbird oil painting.  So...... I am now doing a head  pose at class and a full body pose at home, both in the same technique and both the same size.  It should be interesting to see what comes out of them both.  I will keep the blog updated with views as they progress.

2 comments:

Theresa in Mèrida said...

Brenda, you sure are progressing! I absolutely love the bird of paradise painting. I am not painting and so I am not progressing, see the corollary? Anyway, I just want to tell you how much I love your stuff!
regards,
Theresa

Brenda Maas said...

Thanks so much Theresa, it is so nice to get feedback. Roy is so used to seeing my so called "art" that he is pretty blase about it, so nice to get someone elses input.
Have a great day, I know you are busy. I have no idea where you get all your energy for all the things you do.
Life is fun, and retirement is even "funner" lol